Upma is somewhat a life saver in my house. I make this for breakfast as well as for dinner sometimes. Last weekend we dint step out of the house as it was very cold and had not gone for grocery shopping. I was out of all the vegetables. When I opened my fridge I saw only beets left and thought will make chapati and beets curry. Then I heard my 3 year old calling me "mommy I want upittu". As soon as she saw beets in my hand, she forgot what she was saying and she wanted them to eat. I cut and gave them to her a piece and asked for more and she had half of one beet. Then it occurred to me why not do beetroot upma. Along with that I added her favourite corn too. She enjoyed eating the upma and she was like "Thank You Mommy". So sweet... This was our dinner..
TheUpma Rava - 2 cup Onion – 1 small Beetroot – 1 medium (diced to small pieces) Corn – ¼ cup Chilies – 4 (split to halves) Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp Channa Dhal – ½ tsp Urad dhal – ½ tsp Curry Leaves Coriander leaves Oil – 2 Tb spoon Salt Water – 4 cups Method:
- Fry rava with little oil until you get the aroma. Then keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add channa dhal and urad dhal.
- When it gets little brown add chopped onions and chilies and fry till onions are golden brown.
- Then add dices beetroot and corn and allow it to cook by adding a little salt.
- Break the curry leaves with hands and add to it.
- Cover and allow it to cook for few minutes.
- Then add water and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, add rava slowly. Keep stirring while adding rava.
- Cover the lid and allow the rava to cook for few minutes on low heat.
- Then add coriander leaves on top and stir and serve hot.