ತೊಗರಿ ಬೆಳೆ /Thoor Dhal - 2 cups
ಕಡಲೆ ಬೆಳೆ /Channa Dhal -1/4 cup
ಬೆಲ್ಲ / Jaggery - 2 cups
ತೆಂಗಿನಕಾಯಿ ತುರಿ/ Fresh grated coconut - 1/4 cup
ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ / Elichi / Cardamom - 2
ಮೈದಾ /Maida /All purpose flour - 2 cups
ಚಿರೋಟಿ ರವೆ / Fine sooji - 1/2 cup
ಅರಿಶಿನ / Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
ಎಣ್ಣೆ / Oil - 1/2 cup
First for the outer covering:
It is called Kanaka in Kannada.
- Mix the all purpose flour & fine sooji together.
- Add little salt & turmeric powder & mix with water till you form a dough.
- Then add oil & start kneading nicely. As you knead it will soak up all the oil. You can add more oil accordingly.
- Cover it with a cloth or plate & keep it aside for minimum of 2 hours.
For the inner filling:
This is called Hoorana in Kannada
- Keep both thoor dhal and channa dhal together for boiling.
- After it has fully boiled drain the water to another container & keep aside.
- In a heavy pan, add jaggery & allow it to melt.
- When the jaggery has melted, add the dhals & boil altogether.
- Then add the grated coconut & elaichi powder to it.
- After the consistency has become thick you can off the stove.
- Then grind all to smooth mixture.
- Take a ball of dough and spread with hand with little oil to your hands.
- Keep a ball of the above mixture and cover with the dough and seal the ends.
- Apply oil to a plastic paper, keep the ready ball on it and roll it like chapati (The plastic and oil prevents it from sticking).
- Fry on hot tava till it gets golden brown color.
- Serve hot/cold with ghee.
- You can also mix this in warm milk & eat. It tastes delicious.
- PS : This can be preserved for ten days outside or in fridge.