This is a simple subzi made from Green Papaya. Other than eating the ripe papaya, I did not know that you can do variety of dishes using the unripe green papaya. I came to know about this thru my hubby's friend. He used to cook everything possible from dosas, varieties of chutneys, desserts etc..This is one of the dishes..When I got this recipe, I immediately tried this subzi and the taste was amazing...It is very simple and healthy too. I served this with instant dosa.
Ingredients: Green Papaya - 1 Urad Dhal - 1 tsp Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp Red Chilies – 2 Curry Leaves Chili Powder – 1 tsp Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp Jaggery - 1 tsp Coriander Leaves – 1 Tb spoon Oil – 1 – 2 Tb spoon Salt Method:
- Remove the outer skin and cut papaya into small squares.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, jeera. When it splutters, add urad dhal, split red chilies and curry leaves.
- When urad dhal has turned brown, add papaya pieces.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric, jaggery and salt to it.
- Mix well, cover and allow it to cook on low flame without adding water.
- Cook until done.
- Serve hot with Chapati or as a side with hot rice and dhal.
PS: People who are trying to conceive or who are in their first tri-semesters, please avoid eating papaya, as they say it heats your body and plays a big hand in abortion. Avoid both raw and ripe papaya.