My mom makes this almost once a week with different greens every time. This is very nutritious & also healthy which is a good combination. As we don't get so many varieties of greens, I try to make this with Palak very often.. I am not sure why this was one of hated saru while growing up. These days it makes its appearance very frequently at my home :-) . The recipe is as follows..
- In a pressure cooker, add the thoor dhal, whole onions(if too big then cut it to half ), whole tomatoes, whole garlic, chillies & palak.
- On top of palak put the jeera and pressure cook for one whistle.
- After the cooker has cooled down, remove the boiled palak, jeera, onions, tomatoes, garlic and chillies.
- Grind the above along with coconut.
- Then add the paste to the boiled thoor dhal water. Add water according to your consistency.
- Add salt and allow it to boil for few minutes.
- Heat ghee/oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds & curry leaves.
- Add this to the curry and serve it with hot rice or Ragi ball.
PS: This is the full meals of our Gowda family. Personally, bajji's or pakodas will be very nice along with this gravy..